Cullman DUI Defense Lawyer
Located on I-65 about 50 miles north of Birmingham, the city of Cullman Alabama is a town of 15,000. The area was originally part of the Cherokee Nation and the Black Warrior's Path, a trail that figures prominently in the relocation of the Creek tribe along the Trail of Tears.
Why Fight a DUI in Alabama
- Conviction can result in jail time and license suspension.
- A DUI conviction can cost as much as $20,000 in fines, court costs, increased insurance premiums, etc.
- Job loss frequently results from conviction.
- A DUI on your record can make it hard to get certain jobs or occupational licenses.
- Alabama's DUI laws make jail time and lengthy license suspensions a real threat with a second or subsequent conviction.
- Some 50,000 Alabama residents have found how easy it is to get three or more drunk driving convictions after having the first one on your driving record for police to see during routine patrols.
- Once arrested, charged or convicted, a DUI can be the beginning of years of hassling with the legal system.
Cullman Drunk Driving Defense Attorney Steven Eversole represents clients facing DUI charges or other serious criminal or misdemeanor charges in Cullman and the surrounding area. Eversole Law LLC is a law firm dedicated to criminal defense throughout the greater Birmingham metro area.
A DUI charge in Alabama can be either a misdemeanor or a felony. More than 1,000 motorists a month are charged with drunk driving in Alabama – making it one of the most frequently filed crimes in the state. Up to a year in jail and a 90-day license suspension, as well as numerous other penalties and requirements, also make the punishment among the state's most severe for a misdemeanor conviction.
And from both a legal and social perspective, the punishment grows more severe with each passing year. Lawmakers continue to pass tougher laws; in 2011, they increased jail time for a first offense from 90 days to 1 year and made ignition interlock devices mandatory for some offenders. And job loss and damage to your reputation have become increasingly common in recent years.
In fact, having a drunk driving conviction on your record can make obtaining certain types of employment difficult and may make it difficult or impossible to obtain certain occupational or professional licenses. A DUI conviction may even prevent you from traveling to Canada!
An experienced attorney can often be successful in seeking a reduction or dismissal of the charges. But it's up to the defendant to fight. Merely hiring an attorney and forcing the state to deal with your case can be enough in some instances to win a reduction. In other cases, your attorney will challenge probable cause for the traffic stop or arrest, or contest other evidence on your behalf. The truth of the matter is that as many as one-third of those charged with drunk driving are never convicted. In most cases, it's the ones who stand and fight who avoid the litany of consequences associated with a DUI conviction. If you have been charged with drunk driving in Cullman or the surrounding area, contact Eversole Law LLC for a confidential consultation to discuss your rights.
Cullman DUI Defense Attorney – 866-834-5292 -- Confidential Consultation