Jasper DUI Defense Lawyer
Jasper, Alabama is a town of 15,000 located in Walker County. It was once the world's leading producer of coal. The area settled in 1815 and named for Red Stick War hero William Jasper. However, incorporation didn't come until 1888.
What to Do
- Remain polite but silent at the scene.
- You do not have to take field sobriety tests; if you do, the results will be used against you in court.
- If you do not agree to a test of blood, breath or urine, you will face a license suspension. Your license will be suspended anyway if you are convicted; by refusing the rest, you will be denying the state a key piece of evidence.
- Contact a defense attorney as soon as possible; preferably before the arraignment, at which you should plead not guilty.
- Write down everything you remember about the arrest as soon as possible. Have friends or other witnesses you know do the same. Share this information with your attorney.
Jasper DUI Defense Attorney Steven Eversole has committed a substantial portion of his law practice to fighting for the rights of motorists charged with drunk driving throughout the greater Birmingham metro area. Each year, the State of Alabama charges more than 14,000 motorists with drunk driving.
And the penalties continue to get more severe with each passing year. In 2011, Alabama lawmakers increased the jail time for a first offense from 90 days to 1 year and mandated ignition interlock devices be installed in the vehicles of some offenders. The emphasis on making arrests comes even as the number of serious and fatal drunk driving accidents is near an all-time low.
City and local governments reap millions of dollars in fines and court costs from motorists charged with DUI. Each year, the government hands law enforcement agencies millions more to conduct sobriety checkpoints, enforcement blitzes and other efforts aimed at arresting and accusing drivers of operating a motor vehicle under the influence.
The result is an increasing number of marginal and unfair arrests. And still there is talk of lowering the legal threshold. Once .10, it has already been lowered to .08. Still, lawmakers are debating lowering it further; it is as low as .03 in some developing countries.
A first offense carries some of the stiffest penalties of any misdemeanor on the books. While the penalties for a second or subsequent arrest include a real threat of jail time and a lengthy driver's license suspension.
A Jasper drunk driving defense lawyer should always be called to review your case and decide upon the best course of action. Many times, the charges can be beat. In other cases, an attorney can successfully seek a reduction or dismissal. In every case, an attorney can best ensure that your rights are protected. The cost of a drunk driving conviction can approach $20,000, counting fines, court costs, missed work, license suspensions and increased insurance premiums. Hiring an attorney can be the best money you will spend.
If you are facing drunk driving charges in Jasper or elsewhere in Walker County, contact Eversole Law LLC for a confidential consultation to discuss your case.
Jasper DUI Defense Attorney – 866-834-5292 -- Confidential Consultation